Instant Pot Beets are super quick to make in electric pressure cooker. Only 30 minutes from start to finish including prepping the ingredients. Healthy beets are great to add to salads, meal prep bowls, and soups.
This post contains amazon affiliate links which means if you make a purchase after clicking one of those links, I will receive a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I very rarely cook with beets because they take really long to cook. Boiling them takes forever. Roasting them isn’t much faster, although easier.
Most recipes online for cooking beets in Instant Pot are much faster than cooking them on the stove but still pretty long. Many recipes require anywhere from 30 to even 50 minutes of pressure cooking time.
My technique for Instant Pot Beets is much (and I mean much) faster. If you don’t count prepping the beets, the actual cooking time is only 20 minutes and that includes time for Instant Pot to come to pressure and to release pressure!
Add another 10 minutes to prep the vegetables and you get beautiful, delicious, and healthy beets done in just 30 minutes! Isn’t it amazing?
How to make fast Instant Pot Beets
- Peel the beets. I love using my y-peeler (not the exact model I have).
- Cut the beets into 1/2-inch (or 1/3-inch) pieces.
- Add to Instant Pot with 1 cup water.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release and enjoy.
Note: depending on the model of electric pressure cooker, it’ll take about 8-9 minutes to come to pressure and then 1-2 minutes to release the pressure.
Tips for working with beets
Beets have a lot of juice that is highly pigmented and stains everything it comes in contact with, so here are some tips on how to work with beets:
- Don’t use your favourite cutting board as it may get stained.
- If you can, wear food-safe gloves while peeling and cutting the beets. They’ll protect the skin from staining.
- If you don’t have gloves, wash your hands right after handling the beets.
- Lemon juice often helps remove the beet- juice stains from skin.
Questions and answers about Instant Pot Beets
Why such short cooking time?
So, why these beets cook in Instant Pot in 10 minutes whereas all other recipes say beets requires 30-50 minutes of cooking? That is easy! This is a different technique of cooking.
Long-cooking recipes have beets that are whole and often unpeeled. They also lie on a trivet above water.
My technique uses peeled and diced beets that are submerged in liquid. Cooking ingredients directly in liquid vs above liquid drastically reduces cooking time.
If you’d like to cook whole beets, then try this recipe for Instant Pot Beets from my friend Carmy.
How soft are the beets?
These Instant Pot Beets are soft enough that they can be blended in a food processor with a bit of water into a very smooth puree. The smaller the pieces, the softer the beets are.
For a bit firmer beets, you could either cut them into larger pieces or reduce cooking time a little bit.
Can you double the recipe?
I haven’t tried doubling the recipe. I have a feeling that in this particular case it may not work well.
Most likely the bottom layer of beets will be much softer than the top layer because bottom beets will be submerged in water.
How to use beets
Beets are healthy, flavourful, affordable, and delicious and can be used many ways and in many recipes:
- Add to salads
- Mix in with quinoa, rice, or beans
- Make pickled beets
- Puree the beets and make Beet Butterscotch Fudge
- Puree the beets and make Cinnamon Beet Pancakes
DO YOU WANT MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
Join my Real Ingredients Instant Pot Recipes Facebook Group!!! It’s a fun and safe place to share your own Instant Pot recipes made with Real Ingredients.
- 1 pound beets
- 1 cup cold water
- Peel the beets.
- Dice the beets into 1/2-1/3 inch pieces.
- Add the diced beets and water to Instant Pot.
- Close the lid.
- Turn the valve to sealing.
- Press Manual or Pressure Cooker button (depending on your model) and using the arrow buttons set the cook time to 10 minutes. Use default High Pressure.
Depending on your Instant Pot model, it'll take around 8-9 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once Instant Pot beeps that the 10 minutes of cooking are done, do a Quick Release. It will take approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the cooking liquid and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 90mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g